A 56-year-old man ended up suffering a brain hemorrhage as a result of drinking over 25 cans of Monster and Red Bull in just six hours. This occurred back in 2010.
Nick Mitchell, who hails from West Yorkshire, was running a karaoke club when he consumed the energy drinks. The father of three is now claiming the aforementioned beverages are as bad as drugs and ought to be banned.
He consumed the drinks at work and then had to be rushed to the hospital later that night. According to local media, Nick was experiencing a “painful headache” after waking up.
Doctors at the hospital told Nick that he was suffering from a severe caffeine overdose. A scan highlighted a bleed in his brain.
Nick, who is divorced and the father of three children in their 20’s and 30’s, underwent surgery in June of 2010; doctors told him that more than 50 percent of people in his condition suffered yet another hemorrhage within 12 hours—and some of those situations sadly turn out to be fatal.
The plant mechanic actually suffered from a series of “mini-strokes”, and they temporarily left him unable to speak as a result of a lack of oxygen to the man’s brain. He apparently had three of those in the course of a single week.
He said the drinks “nearly killed” him, and it was believed by medical professionals that he might not have made it through the necessary surgery.
The energy beverages should not be sold according to Nick. He claims that the drinks are “as bad as drugs” and should not be able to be purchased.
The man in question still suffers from what is called “word blindness”. He still struggles to properly articulate his thoughts as a result of what he believes the energy drinks did to him.
Nick wants to warn others about just how addictive energy drinks can be. He admits that it was foolish on his part to drink so many of the popular beverages, but he stresses that he had no idea just how dangerous the drinks could be. A lot of people, according to him, simply do not know.
It is worth noting that the average sugar content in a can of an energy drink might actually exceed the amount of sugar recommend for the average adult; furthermore, the caffeine content—depending on the brand—can be more than 160 mg. Actually, an energy drink can contain as many as 500 mg of the substance.
A spokesperson for Red Bull—well known as one of the more popular energy drinks on the market—said that the average 250 ml can of their beverage contains about 80 mg of caffeine, which is roughly similar to how much caffeine is present in a cup of coffee.
Authorities in Europe state that people can safely consume up to about 400 mg of caffeine in any given day (about five cups of coffee). Consuming that amount, according to experts, does not pose a health risk to the general population.
Monster Energy did not comment on this story.
The Department of Health and Human Services in the United States has actually weighed in the safety of energy drinks, however, noting that the advertising campaigns created by the companies that make them are particularly effective in regard to the young male market (men between 18 and 34).
They are actually the 2nd most popular dietary supplements in the United States of America (after multivitamins). Roughly 33 percent of teenagers between the ages of 12 and 17 regularly consume energy drinks.
Between 2007 and 2011, the average number of energy drink-related visits to an emergency room actually doubled. Surprisingly, the most significant number of ER trips occurred in those aged 40 years of age or older.
Even more concerning is a recent trend to combine energy drinks with alcohol. About a quarter of college students combine alcohol and energy drinks, and said students are known to “binge drink” more frequently than those students who don’t combine the two substances.
While it has been claimed that energy drinks improve alertness as well as physical endurance, those claims are based on very limited data.
An excessive amount of caffeine definitely poses certain health risks, including blood pressure- and heart rhythm-related problems. Caffeine can also create anxiety, dehydration, and insomnia.
It is also worth reiterating that the amount of caffeine in energy drinks varies wildly depending on the manufacturer of the drink.
Finally, it is definitely worth pointing out that caffeine can make it difficult for people to ascertain intoxication levels, so probably shouldn’t be mixed with alcohol.
H/T – Source