A YouTube star managed to trick a homeless person into eating Oreo cookies filled with toothpaste. He is now facing two years in jail.
The 20-year-old prankster is named Kanghua Ren, and he is originally from China; he video blogs using the name ReSet. Kanghua actually took video of himself replacing the white filling of several Oreo cookies with toothpaste; he then repackaged the cookies and gave them to a person who is homeless.
The homeless man’s name is known as Gheorge L. He is originally from Romania. ReSet found Gheorge last year in January on the streets of Barcelona.
Gheorge, who is 52 years old, said that he felt sick after eating several of the cookies. He threw up five minutes after eating them. He was afraid for his life. He did know ReSet. He did not know what was in the cookies.
In the video, ReSet admitted that he might have gone a bit far; there is a positive side, though, according to him. ReSet said that his actions will help the homeless person clean his teeth, which he probably has not cleaned since he became poor.
According to court documents, ReSet apparently earned over 1,700 GBP in advertising revenue via his channel, which has over one million subscribers. The video was apparently viewed thousands of times.
The charge against the blogger is a “crime against moral integrity”. Prosecutors are hoping for a jail term of two years and roughly 26,000 GBP in restitution to Gheorge.
For understandable reasons, ReSet received backlash from his viewers after he did what he did on video; people were outraged. The young man then went back to Gheorge in another video in order to find out how the homeless man liked the toothpaste-filled Oreo cookies.
ReSet said that people tend to exaggerate over jokes played on a beggar; however, if the jokes were played on a “normal person”, people would not say anything.
ReSet allegedly intended to spend a night on the street with the homeless man and have it filmed; however, a witness phoned the police.
ReSet deleted the videos and even offered Gheorge 300 GBP in order to keep quiet about what happened; ReSet apparently wanted to ingratiate himself with “public opinion” and reestablish his image.
Gheorge said that he had never been treated so poorly in all of the time he’d lived on the street. The bar at which he vomited, he said, regularly assisted him with clothing and food.
In other pranks, RetSet put animal feces in sandwiches and fed them to elderly people and schoolchildren. He is currently on bail and awaiting judgment.
The toothpaste prank against Gheorge is actually relatively common amongst children who wish to mess with their families. ReSet’s prank was obviously a bit crueler; according to reports, he has been forbidden from visiting China.
The prank really is not funny, as the consumption of toothpaste can be harmful—because it often contains fluoride. Unintentionally swallowing small amounts of toothpaste typically causes an upset stomach. Consuming larger amounts can lead to nausea and diarrhea. If a large amount is swallowed, especially by a child, a poison control center should be contacted immediately.
At this point, we don’t know what brand of toothpaste ReSet used to harrass Gheorge.
Toothpaste has existed in one form or another for thousands of years. Back in 5000 BC, the ancient Egyptians developed a tooth powder; it was made from myrrh, pumice, eggshells, and other ingredients. Greeks and Romans would go on to improve the Egyptian recipe by adding ingredients like oyster shells and crushed bones.
It was not until the 19th century that toothpowders really came into general use. They were used in Britain with toothbrushes, and most of the powders were homemade. Salt, chalk, and pulverized brick were the typical ingredients. Another ingredient was pulverized charcoal.
Around the turn of the 20th century, it was recommended that toothbrushes be used with a mixture of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. While there were pre-mixed toothpastes as early as the 18th century, tooth powders were far more common until the early 20th century. The first time fluoride was added to toothpastes was in the 1890’s.